Thursday, May 23, 2013

IT IS SO APPARENT - LDS Hymn Parody #95

You know what really irritates me??? That I went along with Mormonism for so many years, and then when I finally used critical thinking, it made absolutely no sense.  At that point, it was an absolute mystery to me why I ever believed it in the first place. 

Now I look so many things embodied within Mormonism, and I am appalled.  Like the Book of Abraham and Joseph Smith's supposed translation of the Egyptian papyri, as well as how he obtained the papyri.  Five papyri and four mummies were purchased from Michael Chandler who was touring the area and stopped in Kirtland, Ohio with a traveling mummie exhibition.  When Joseph Smith entered the exhibition along with two others, Mr. Chandler asked Joseph (knowing of his notoriety for claiming to have "translated" the gold plates of the Book of Mormon) to look at the scrolls and tell them what they said.  After examining them, Joseph and two others paid over $2,400 for the five papyri and four mummies (which was a lot of money in 1835).  Obviously, this "traveling salesman" saw them coming.  One con man duping another con man.

Of course, there are so many more bogus claims within Mormonism, as well as a lot of extremely sordid history.  In looking at Mormonism closely, it became transparently clear to me that none of it is true.  It was at that moment when I finally accepted the fact that I had been duped my entire life, and it was as if my eyes were open for the first time.

Accepting it all at face value was my biggest mistake.  Having been born and raised in the Mormon Church, I relied too much on what other Mormons told me (including my father), and not enough on my own inner voice.  I should have started doing my own independent research much earlier in my life.  But then, I wasn't very intellectually curious back then.  Looking back, I really think Mormonism squelched my intellectual curiosity  and I came to accept things without looking at them objectively. 

But then, everything happens in its own time.  Perhaps I was meant to uncover the truth and find my own voice later in my life.  Who knows?  What I do know, though, is that finally living an authentic life is a very rewarding existence.  Being able to openly talk about my issues with Mormonism is also very fulfilling.  Although TBMs would like for me to just shut up and keep my opinions to myself (and stop blogging!!), I cannot do that because I know it's very important for me to express my feelings and make my voice be heard.  Keeping quiet about it all is the very last thing I want to do - and the least healthy for me psychologically.

So here is my 95th LDS Hymn Parody, dedicated to being Mormonism free - and being free to simply be ME.

IT IS SO APPARENT
Sung to the tune of We Are All Enlisted - #250

1.  It is so apparent that it’s packed full of lies,
The Mormon Church, The Mormon Church.
They can try to mask it, but there is no disguise,
Found out when I did my own research.
Studied the details, found out the truth,
Wish I had done that back in my youth.
A devout Mormon for many years,
Then broke away, broke away, shedding many tears.


(Chorus)
It is so apparent that it’s packed full of lies,
The Mormon Church, the Mormon Church.
They can try to mask it, but there is no disguise,
So apparent when you do research.


2.  When I did my research, the deception was clear,
Opened my eyes, opened my eyes.
Full of fabrications, not as it would appear,
Knew right then that I had not been wise.
They said believe it, I followed suit,
So very faithful, did not dispute.
Blindly accepted what they would say,
Until I saw, til I saw, much to my dismay…


(Chorus)
It is so apparent that it’s packed full of lies,
The Mormon Church, the Mormon Church.
They can try to mask it, but there is no disguise,
So apparent when you do research.


3.  After all the heartache, I am finally free,
Mormon no more, Mormon no more.
No more heavy burden, I am free to be me,
On my life before, I closed the door.
Should have been wiser, not just a clone,
Could have been different if I had known.
Critical thinking, a better choice,
And finally, finally, I have found my voice.


(Chorus)
It is so apparent that it’s packed full of lies,
The Mormon Church, the Mormon Church.
They can try to mask it, but there is no disguise,
So apparent when you do research.


© Diane Tingen, 5/21/2013

No comments: