Tuesday, May 29, 2012

FOR THE BEAUTY OF THE TRUTH - LDS Hymn Parody #67

To me, there is beauty in truth.  Plain and simple.  No little white lies.  No wiggle room.  No bobbing and weaving.  No hedging.  Just the pure truth based on facts and evidence.  

But I've been told that I take the concept of truth too literally, at least on some discussion boards where I've attempted to discuss this topic.  But in doing so, I have been criticized for saying that since there are obvious lies laced throughout Mormonism, I had to discard it.  It has been pointed out that every religion has lies within it, as if that is a justification for the lies I have discovered.  But to me, just because "all religions" have lies within them doesn't mean that it is okay for every religion to present lies as absolute truth.  After all, if a religion has lies laced throughout it, then what possible benefit can it have to me in my life?  For example, the Mormon Church teaches honesty and integrity as important values, and yet they have no regard for the actual truth when it comes to presenting its doctrine or history.  I, for one, have a real problem with that.

Perhaps the search for truth and beauty is an elusive one.  Obviously truth and beauty mean different things to different people.  But regardless of whether or not that may be true, wouldn't a person think that within religion that search would be simpler?  That those qualities would intermingle and co-exist within the worship of God?  Sadly, though, that doesn't seem to be the case. 

THE TRUTH, THE WHOLE TRUTH, AND NOTHING BUT THE TRUTH.


Yes, as far as I am concerned, TRUTH is the bottom line.  Is something true - or is it false?  If it's false, then I want nothing to do with it.  To me, it really is that simple.

Of course, that explains why, when I discovered so many lies laced throughout Mormonism, I had to extricate myself from its grasp.  And that also explains why I have such a hard time understanding why some people can know all the flaws, all the deception, all the lies, all the sordid history, and still adhere to Mormonism.  Makes no sense to me.

Anyway, here is my 67th LDS Hymn Parody, all about TRUTH...

FOR THE BEAUTY OF THE TRUTH
Sung to the tune of For the Beauty of the Earth, #92

For the beauty of the truth,
Sorting through apparent lies.
Seeing that it’s all made up,
Facts that brought me much surprise.
Truth is what it’s all about,
Knowing without any doubt.


For the beauty of the facts,
Recognizing every clue.
When the evidence is there,
Standing up for what is true.
Truth is what it’s all about,

Knowing without any doubt.

Finding truth, a worthy search,
Ripping off the veiled disguise.
Finally seeing what is false,
Then discarding all the lies.
Truth is what it’s all about,
Knowing without any doubt.

For the joy of feeling free,
Living an authentic life.

Finally facing all the facts,
Free from all the pain and strife.
Mormonism is not true,
So I bid it all adieu.


© Diane Tingen, 5/29/2012

No comments: